Participation in CMIM - Violin 2023
Pauline van der Rest was born in Brussels in 2004 and began playing violin at the age of 7 with Igor Tkatchouk, first in private, and since 2016 as a Young Talent at the Institut royal supérieur de musique et de pédagogie (IMEP) in Namur. In 2020, she started studying with Boris Garlitsky and joined his baccalaureate class at the Folkwang University of the Arts in 2021.
Pauline successfully participated in numerous national and international competitions, and she was elected young talent of the year in 2018 by the Province of Namur.
Pauline has been invited to perform in various countries in Europe and Asia, in prestigious concert halls. She has participated in master classes with Albert Markov, Alexander Vinnitsky, Dora Schwarzberg, and Leonidas Kavakos.
Finally, she had the privilege of being selected by Leonidas Kavakos to receive a scholarship to take courses with him in 2019 and 2020.
- Boris Garlitsky, 2020-present
- Leonidas Kavakos, 2019-2021
- Igor Tkatchouk, 2011-2019
- 1st prize, Honda Competition for Classical Music, Brussels, 2019
- 2nd prize, Spohr Competition for Young Violinists, Weimar, 2019
- 1st prize, Concours Grumiaux, Bruxelles, 2018
- 1st prize, Odessa International Violin Competition, Odessa, 2018
- 1st prize, Concorso Postacchini, Italy, 2015
- 1st prize, Kocian competition, Czech Republic, 2014
JOHANN SEBASTIAN BACH Violin Partita No. 2 in D minor, BWV 1004
NICCOLÒ PAGANINI Caprice for Solo Violin No. 11 in C major, Op. 1
MAURICE RAVEL Rhapsody for Violin and Piano, M. 76: Tzigane
LUDWIG VAN BEETHOVEN Violin Sonata No. 3 in E-flat major, Op. 13
I. Allegro con spirito
II. Adagio con molta espressione
III. Rondo: Allegro molto
LUNA PEARL WOOLF L’Inconnu.e bouleversant.e
SERGEI PROKOFIEV Violin Sonata No. 2 in D major, Op. 94a
II. Presto – Poco piu mosso del – Tempo I
IV. Allegro con brio – Poco meno mosso – Tempo I – Poco meno mosso – Allegro con brio
EUGÈNE YSAŸE Violin Sonata No. 5, Op. 27
II. Danse rustique
Pianist: Philip Chiu
Pauline van der Rest is generously sponsored by Abzac Canada Inc.