Inscriptions – 2022
Applications – Voice 2022
General Information for Applicants
Voice 2020 | ARIA and ART SONG
(Montreal / New York Time Zone)
September 15, 2021: online registrations open
December 15, 2021, at midnight: application deadline
February 15, 2022: preselection results announced
May 29, 2022: launch of the Voice 2022 edition
May 31 to June 9, 2022: live competition rounds in Montreal
• The Voice 2022 edition of the Concours musical international de Montréal (CMIM) is an elite-level international competition open to classical singers of any nationality, born between 1989 and 2004 (inclusive), who are in the early stages of a professional performing career.
• There are two divisions in the Voice 2022 competition: Aria and Art Song.
• Eligible singers may choose to apply to compete in either one or both divisions.
– Singers applying to compete in the Aria division must perform works from the repertoire (Appendix 2) composed for voice and orchestra (opera, oratorio, cantata, mass, concert arias, orchestral songs cycles, etc.).
– Singers applying to compete in the Art Song division must perform from the repertoire composed for voice and piano (French art song, German lied, etc.).
• First Prize laureates from previous CMIM voice editions are not eligible to apply.
|PRIZES AND AWARDS|
• The application form will be available online via the CMIM’s official application portal.
• Applications must be submitted online via the CMIM’s official application portal.
• Singers wishing to compete in both divisions of the competition (Aria and Art Song) must submit two applications.
An application is comprised of the following:
a) A completed online application form, including contact information for two (2) musical references, and the complete program for each round of the competition.
b) A non-refundable application fee of $75 US.
c) Two (2) high-resolution colour photographs (including one headshot) suitable for publication and CMIM promotional use.
d) Three (3) audition videos per chosen division(s) (one video per song or aria):
– Aria: three (3) different arias from the standard repertoire for solo voice and orchestra (recorded with piano accompaniment or with orchestra), in at least two (2) different languages.
– Art Song: three (3) different songs from the standard art song repertoire for voice and piano, in their original versions, in at least two (2) different languages, with at least one (1) song by Franz Schubert.
All audition videos must be of high-quality with excellent audio, shot from one angle with a single fixed camera (no zooming, tilting, or panning). The singer’s face must remain fully visible at all times. Videos must not be edited, enhanced, or modified in any way.
All recordings must be made after July 1, 2020.
• CMIM officials will review all applications to ensure they are complete, eligible, and meet the required technical standards.
• The CMIM reserves the right to disqualify any candidates who have failed to fulfill all of the application requirements.
• A preliminary selection committee, appointed by the CMIM, will review and evaluate the audition videos.
• A maximum of 32 singers (20 for Aria and 12 for Art Song) will be selected to compete in the Voice 2022 edition of the CMIM.
• Singers who apply to compete in the two (2) divisions of the competition may be selected to take part in one or both divisions.
• Selected singers, as well as all other registered candidates, will be notified of the preliminary selection results by February 15, 2022, at the very latest.
PIANIST – ART SONG DIVISION
Singers applying for the Art Song division are strongly encouraged to perform in the competition rounds with a pianist of their choosing.
An official CMIM pianist will be assigned to singers who do not have their own pianist.
TRAVEL AND ACCOMMODATIONS
All selected competitors (and participating pianists, if applicable) are required to be free of all engagements and available to perform in Montreal between May 29 and June 9, 2022 (inclusive).
The CMIM will provide return economy-class travel to Montreal and arrange for free accommodation with a volunteer host family in the Montreal area for all competitors and eligible pianists. Competitors and pianists who wish to make other arrangements may do so at their own expense.
All participants in the competition must comply with the government health measures in force in Montreal at the time of the 2022 Voice Edition (i.e. Vaccination, wearing a mask, distancing, quarantine, etc.). In such a case, and to the possible extent, the CMIM will notify the competitors before their trip to Montreal.
If additional costs are generated by the exceptional measures in force on the territory of Montreal and in the places where the competition takes place, a prior agreement must be established between the CMIM and the participants concerned before their travel to Montreal.
The Competition reserves the right to postpone or cancel an edition that could be compromised due to events of force majeure.
General information for applicants,
Appendix 1: Rules and conditions of participation,
Appendix 2: Repertoire for the semifinal and the final – Aria section
Until december 15th, 2021
Véronique Desjardins, firstname.lastname@example.org
coordinator, Recruitment and Applications
* * *
CMIM officials reserve the right to make changes to the information in this document.